- No food, drinks, or chewing gum in the permanent exhibition. To stay hydrated on your mission, bottled water is welcome.
- Spies under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- To succeed on your mission, we encourage the use of baby slings or backpacks as an alternative to strollers. Strollers are stored in the Lobby Cloak Room before entering the permanent exhibition.
- Good spies travel lightly, please limit the number and size of the items you bring. A limited number of free storage lockers are available on a first come, first served basis. Large items, such as luggage, is not permitted in the permanent exhibition.
- Only Spy Museum personnel can give tours in the exhibition.
- Non-flash photography is allowed during your exhibition surveillance (unless specifically noted in the exhibition). Commercial photography and videography must be approved in advance by our Communications staff.
All visitors are required to pass through a security check point at all Museum public entrances. This may include a hand-check of bags and walking through a metal detector. Those unable to walk through the metal detector will be hand-screened with an electronic security wand by authorized personnel.
All visitors and their belongings are subject to search if requested by Spy Security staff.
The safety of the International Spy Museum’s visitors, volunteers, staff, and collections is of the highest importance. The following items are strictly prohibited from Museum property:
- Weapons/firearms, except qualified law enforcement. See below.*
- Knives/blades longer than 3.5 inches.
- Clubs, hammers, martial arts devices, and related items.
- Flammable liquids and gases greater than 0.5 oz.
- Fireworks, ammunitions, explosive devices, and related materials.
- Paint and related marking materials; spray cans (including pepper spray and mace) and other aerosols.
- Other items deemed dangerous, suspicious, or inappropriate by the International Spy Museum personnel.
*Qualified Law Enforcement - This policy excludes Federal and local law enforcement officials, who after displaying their credentials to our Spy Security team, may carry their firearms in a concealed manner. Local refers to all law enforcement agencies with jurisdiction within the immediate DMV area.