The International Spy Museum is a nonprofit public museum dedicated to educating the public about the world of espionage and intelligence through exhibits, educational programs, special events, and public outreach. Our growing development department seeks an energetic, experienced, and collaborative leader to develop and execute strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors. This position will play a critical role in increasing donor support and acts as an ambassador for the SPY Museum.
- Develop and execute individual and foundation donor strategies to identify, renew and upgrade donor gifts.
- Conceive and create highly compelling digital and printed communications materials, in collaboration with communications team and the Director of Philanthropy.
- Contribute to and maintain donor prospect database and conduct prospect research.
- Work collaboratively with Director of Philanthropy and Museum staff to identify funding needs, articulate campaigns, and identify tactics and marketing plans.
- Establish timelines and plans for fundraising outreach and campaigns on an annual and multi-year basis.
- Cultivate foundation support by developing relationships with major relevant family and traditional foundations, donor-advised funds, and impact investors.
- Establish and achieve assigned annual targets for major gifts and foundation support.
- Work to develop and lead appeal campaigns and formalize and grow new programs such as planned giving based on innovative best practice.
- Support and leverage major annual fundraising events and initiatives.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the President, Executive Director, Executive Vice President, Director of Philanthropy, members of the board of directors and other external stakeholders.
- Serve as deputy to Director of Philanthropy.
- Some travel and evening/weekend work expected, for cultivation and networking events.
Minimum Education Required
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree strongly preferred.
Minimum Experience Required
- Seven years of experience in the creation and management of major gift programs at a nonprofit organization, with preference for experience at a Museum or other cultural institution.
- Experience with managing budgets and budget forecasting.
- Detailed understanding and experience with Salesforce.
- Strong proficiency in database management; Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and others.
Skills and Attributes
- Engaging, passionate leader committed to building major-gifts and foundation support for SPY
- Proven success in cultivating donors for major (five- and six-figure) gifts, writing foundation proposals, working with program officers, and ensuring sustained donor engagement
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including talent in writing donor communications and grant proposals
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence
- •Flexible self-starter
- Sensitivity to and respect for diverse work environment
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively to advance both personal and team goals
- High level of discretion and ethical standards in fundraising
- Strong understanding of today’s philanthropic and fundraising environment, with a keen interest in both proven and innovative strategies driven by best practice
To be considered, please submit a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to: email@example.com or Please include Major Gifts Officer in the subject line. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.