Limited Tickets Available
Tickets are sold out for Sunday, April 2 and are extremely limited through the week. Advance ticket purchase is highly recommended for future dates.
Event Security Officer (Unarmed)
Part-Time / Non-Exempt
The International Spy Museum (SPY) is seeking a first-rate recruit to provide safety and security during our onsite events. But wait, this is not your usual security job! The person selected for this position will have an acute sense of judgment, tact and diplomacy and the keen ability to identify and resolve issues quickly during Museum events while balancing the gentle art of spying on guests and having fun.
The Event Security Officer will ensure the overall physical safety and security for all guests and staff, artifacts, exhibits, and private property of the International Spy Museum. The ideal candidate will be responsible for maintaining the order of private events by conducting access control, assisting with and de-escalating disturbances and providing a memorable and exciting guest experience. They will also act as a flex officer and have the ability to pick up open shifts and create their own schedule outside of the required Friday, Saturday and Sunday shift days.
Areas of Accountability
- Honesty/Integrity – Having the courage to tell the truth, do what is right and necessary in the presence of others and when alone.
- Accepting and Providing Feedback – Willing to provide timely and clear feedback to peers to ensure success, being open to accept/act on two-way constructive feedback, and willing to grow from the experience.
- Bring Solutions to Problems – When faced with complaints or issues, show that you can take initiative and be proactive by coming prepared with a solution to help the situation.
- Collaboration – Being cooperative not competitive, show commitment to teamwork by assisting peers with completion of tasks.
- Take Ownership of Actions/Decisions – Comfortable with holding yourself accountable in fulfilling your responsibilities as a team member and able to accept consequences for your actions and decisions.
- Ability to Self-Manage – Seek to regulate time, prioritize own goals and maintain responsibility for accomplishing set objectives and tasks.
- Being an Effective Communicator – Knowing when to talk and when to listen. Being approachable and having the ability to clearly and succinctly explain specific tasks, procedures and outcomes.
- Being Accountable and Responsible – Must hold self-accountable for their actions, take responsibility for their own mistakes and expect others to do the same.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to have attention to detail, take pride in their work and avoid mistakes by looking for potential flaws before submission.
- Creates an immersive and enjoyable event experience for guests.
- Operates detection devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
- Monitors events by making sure rules are being followed, ensuring no underage drinking or inebriation occurs.
- Provides escort of attendees, directing foot traffic, ensuring guests are not in unauthorized areas and assisting guests with health problems.
- Monitors and serves guests in a gracious and accommodating manner; inform guests of Museum safety and security policies and resolves guest issues.
- Acts as a deterrent to criminal activity on Spy Museum property and takes proactive steps to provide a safe/secure environment for staff and guests.
- Follows procedures for various initiatives, including fire prevention, property patrol and accident investigations.
- Protects the company’s assets relative to theft, assault, fire and other safety issues.
- Report safety concerns, security breaches, and unusual circumstances both verbally and in writing.
Minimum Education Required
- High School Diploma required.
- Valid Unarmed Metropolitan Police Department Special Police Officer (SPO) license preferred.
Minimum Experience Required
- One year event security experience required.
- Customer service experience required.
- Experience working in a Museum setting is desired.
- Proven experience in crowd management.
- Non lethal Certifications (OC, Handcuff, Baton) preferred.
- First Aid, CPR and AED Certifications preferred.
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays; Friday, Saturday and Sundays required.
- Have the desire to have fun at work, enjoy a team atmosphere, and an interest in the Spy Museum mission.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Adhere to all company service and operating standards.
- Be punctual for assigned shifts and have reliable transportation.
- Knowledge of security protocols and procedures.
- Self-motivated; strong ability to independently make decisions and resolve problems.
- Exceptional written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to multi-task and work well within a team setting.
- Positive and professional with a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Ready to embrace new tasks and working practices.
- Weekend, Holiday and night work is required, with varying days off.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook…).
How to apply
To Apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the Event Security Application Form.