Are you an experienced retail professional with a passion for leading and developing high performing teams, exceeding the customer’s expectations, driving sales, and contributing to the success of an organization? We are seeking such a leader to serve as Vice President of our retail division.
The International Spy Museum is a private nonprofit museum dedicated to educating the public about the world of espionage and intelligence through exhibits, educational programs, special events, and public outreach. We are the only public museum in the United States solely dedicated to espionage and the only one in the world to provide a global perspective on an all-but-invisible profession that has shaped history and continues to have a significant impact on world events.
The International Spy Museum features the largest collection of international espionage artifacts ever placed on public display. These artifacts illuminate the work of famous spies and pivotal espionage actions and help bring to life the strategies and techniques of the men and women behind some of the most secretive espionage missions in world history.
The Vice President of Retail is an integral member of the International Spy Museum leadership team who creates a high level of trust and excellence while driving vision, cohesion, and revenue. The Vice President of Retail embodies our Spy Museum’s values of Service Excellence, Team, Creativity, Diversity, and Fun.
The Vice President of Retail is responsible for overseeing all retail components of the International Spy Museum including managing the P&L; setting staffing and shopping experience expectations; creating the strategic vision; and overseeing product development, sourcing, and procurement.
- Ability to build, maintain, and motivate a strong, productive team of individuals who embrace SPY culture and core values.
- In-depth business acumen and understanding of all aspects of retail operations and finances.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Leads with strong initiative, judgement, and decisiveness.
- Supervise direct reports including buyers, store manager, along with the retail store leadership team, shipping and receiving team and associates.
- Provide strategic direction and administration for the retail revenue centers: Museum Store, Museum Web Store and such other revenue centers as may be approved for expansions of the Spy Store brand.
- Maximize sales, EBITDA, per cap, average sale, conversion and customer acquisition and retention rate of Spy Museum retail & web store customers. Retail is currently a $4.5 million retail operation.
- Develop revenue, expense, and labor budgets for the retail division.
- Bring in new ideas for product, pricing, promotions, merchandising and teambuilding that increase sales.
- Manage the buying team and Cost of Goods Sold.
- Execute key strategic initiatives that drive future growth opportunities and financial performance for the division.
- Hire, build and develop talent and bench strength within the department, to ensure the department is staffed with customer focused retail personnel who serve customers, maintain standards, live company core values, and achieve financial targets.
- Establish a culture of service excellence and team while making sure the staff has fun at work.
- Oversee and approve department strategies and initiatives for the recruitment, training, and performance management and reviews, as well and incentive programs and practices to reward productivity and ensure retention.
- Develop/refine policies, procedures, and systems, to maximize effective and efficient business operations.
- Manage inventory.
- Set and maintain high-level operating standards and visitor experience expectations that are efficient, effective, and consistently executed.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Vice Presidents and key staff in other departments on special events/programs and marketing initiatives/promos.
Minimum Education Required
- BA or BS degree from a four-year college or university (or equivalent amount of relevant professional experience).
Minimum Experience Required
- Minimum 7-10 years with a fast-moving specialty retailer or a national consumer goods company, preferably in apparel, fashion, footwear.
- Minimum 7-10 years cross-functional management experience.
- Minimum 7-10 years managing a team.
- Minimum 7 years working in a store environment.
- Experience managing multi-unit specialty retailer with experience in recruitment, customer service, buying and merchandising, product development and licensing, inventory control, e-commerce site management, and marketing.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
- Some overnight travel required.
- The work is generally sedentary but requires some extended periods of standing, walking, and bending.
- Ability to handle, lift, and move stock weighing up to 40 pounds required.
How to apply:
For employment consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements online to the Vice President of Retail Application Form.