Limited Tickets Available
Tickets are sold out for Sunday, April 2 and are extremely limited through the week. Advance ticket purchase is highly recommended for future dates.
Full-Time / Exempt
The International Spy Museum (SPY) is looking for a first-rate recruit to manage the Museum’s safety and security programs and maintain appropriate policies and procedures. But wait, this is not your usual security job! The person selected for this position will have the keen ability to provide leadership, guidance, and training to Museum Security staff while balancing the gentle art of spying on guests and having fun.
The Security Manager will work closely with the Director of Security. They are key to the Security Leadership team by ensuring the overall safety and security of all visitors, volunteers and staff, artifacts, exhibits, and SPY property. The ideal candidate will manage department administration from internal and external communication, to budget planning, scheduling and support. Experience on the installation and operation of security systems is a plus. They will also have excellent organizational and communication skills. Lastly, the candidate will work with a productive and engaging team and have interest to learn and grow at a public-facing educational institution.
Areas of Accountability
- Department administration – scheduling, training, evaluation, etc.
- Building access management – tracking and maintenance of keys, locks, access cards, etc.
- Department policy and procedures – refinements, implementation, etc.
- Museum security and safety administration – oversee security training, testing and emergency preparedness.
- Department labor and wage budget – forecast staffing needs, manage budgets, etc.
- Adaptability – willing to be open to new ideas and lead the team to understand new opportunities and take measured risks.
- Staff cultivation – ensure team members receive quality feedback and the proper development/training to excel in their position.
- Effective Communication – utilization of active listening skills. Being approachable and having the ability to explain specific tasks, procedures and outcomes clearly and succinctly.
- Collaborative Problem Solving – identify issues, ensure accountability, lead conversations and support solutions for a positive outcome.
- Self-management – managing time expectations, prioritizing tasks and goals and being responsible for accomplishing objectives.
- Monitor and serve guests in a gracious and accommodating manner; inform guests of Museum safety and security policies and resolves guest issues.
- Coordinate daily activities of the department such as scheduling employee rotations for optimal coverage, implementing security policies, protocols and procedures, recruiting, training, counseling, and disciplining of employees.
- Support Security management in safety aspects of the Museum including evacuations and fire drills; ensuring a safe environment; addressing threats to the Museum, its staff, or visitors; monitoring and responding to alarm systems; CCTV management; medical emergencies; and issues involving hostile visitors, disturbances, damage or theft.
- Provide inspiration and appreciation to the Security team on a daily. Encourage staff to have fun while handling serious security policies and procedures.
- Manage the security operational budget and monitor expenses.
- Monitor staff performance and provide timely and specific feedback.
- Train staff and new hires on the Museum’s safety/security standards, operating procedures, and methods of resolving concerns and complaints.
- Work with supervisory team on the planning and coordination of security operations for events, draft and review reports on incidents and breaches, and analyze data to form proposals for technological improvements.
- Act as a deterrent to criminal activity on Museum property. Report evidence of criminal activity to proper authorities. Prevent theft, vandalism, and other crimes against persons/property, and pursue/detain suspected persons.
- Observe and report all security and safety hazards and provide a written report.
- Participate in Museum committees (such as the Values Team, Diversity Advisory Council, Fun Committee, etc.) and find new opportunities to work together to create better understanding and mutual respect.
Minimum Education Required
- Associate's degree required.
- Bachelor’s degree in security management or a related major preferred.
- Valid Unarmed Metropolitan Police Department Special Police Officer (SPO) license preferred.
Minimum Experience Required
- Three years current security experience required.
- Three years supervisory experience required.
- Customer service experience required.
- Two plus years within a public institution (such as a museum, library etc.) preferred.
- Experience in a cultural setting preferred.
- First Aid, AED, BBP and CPR certification preferred; current certified trainer desired.
- Handcuffing certification, OCAT Spray certification and baton certification desired.
- IT and/or Cyber Security knowledge desired.
- Lenel Certified Associate (LCA) desired.
- Must have knowledge of physical security systems such as various visual and electronic badging systems and other approaches that are designed for or applied to protecting personnel, information and facilities.
- Ability to operate CCTV and alarm systems.
- Remains calm in fast-paced and stressful situations.
- Evidence of ability to lead and direct staff effectively.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Evidence of strong planning and organization skills in current role.
- Works well independently and has strong project management skills.
- Exhibits strong customer service skills.
- Ability to represent the Museum in a positive and professional manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to complete daily, weekly, or monthly reports.
- Ability to effectively cover all posts using available manpower including yourself.
- Weekend, Holiday and night work is required, with varying days off.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
How to apply
To Apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the Security Manager Application Form.
The cover letter should include answers to the following:
- Provide an example of a past staffing challenge and how you resolved the situation with a positive outcome.
- What is your favorite spy movie character and why?