Shipping and Receiving Managers, would you like to work for the coolest museum in town? The International Spy Museum is looking for you! Our new museum is located at L’Enfant Plaza and our beautiful 5000 sq. foot store is open. The International Spy Museum is a private nonprofit museum dedicated to educating the public about the world of espionage and intelligence through exhibits, educational programs, special events, and public outreach. Our Retail department seeks someone who is looking for a fun and fast paced environment selling our unique assortment of spy gear including apparel and accessories, books, gadgets, toys, souvenirs, and more! The perfect candidate will have a minimum of 2 years experience in the role of retail and / or stockroom supervisory experience. They will bring the following skills and experience to the table: Coordinate and perform receiving, ticketing, and stocking of merchandise applying Museum standards and guidelines. Fill, pack, and ship wholesale, retail, and web orders. Maintain appropriate inventory of shipping and retail packaging supplies. Responsible for working closely with VP, buyers, and store team to maintain proper inventory control and minimize shrink. Assist in providing exceptional service to the store’s customers.
- Collect, log, and process incoming shipments. Unpack and examine shipments verifying counts and prices against purchase order and packing slip/invoice. Contact buyer and/or shipper promptly to rectify discrepancies/damages. Complete and accurately prepare chargeback documents. Prepare receiving voucher; create and affix tickets to merchandise. Move merchandise to proper retail floor or storage location. Work with buyers to ensure accuracy of invoice payments.
- Ensure via regular inventory counts and stockroom inspections, adequate supplies of shipping, retail packaging, and office supplies. Replenish supplies as needed from on-hand stock and submit re-order requests in advance of anticipated needs.
- Process web orders and assist Web Manager with returns. Communicate to store manager, leadership team, and buyers any low inventory/out of stock/ or backordered merchandise.
- Maintain stockroom organization for maximum efficiency in stocking and replenishing the sales floor.
- Provide backup to the retail store as needed; assist customers, stock/arrange merchandise, give lunch breaks and perform store opening and closing procedures.
- Upon request, work closely with the store leadership team, sales associates, and museum staff to help facilitate special event set-up and breakdown.
- Evaluate shipping services on an annual basis to determine best carrier, taking into consideration costs/rates and museum needs. Set up meetings with shipper representatives and assist in negotiating the best rates. Meet and maintain a relationship with shipping service reps and drivers. Advise web manager and VP of any rate increases.
- Transport stock from docks to stockroom or storage area in a safe and secure manner. Ensure deliveries are made according to schedule. Operate machinery in a safe manner. Ensure machinery, such as pallet jack, is in proper running order.
- Manage all mail and packages entering or leaving the building for all museum departments.
- Supervise the processing of damaged merchandise daily/weekly depending on the season. Reconcile adjustments on damages and MOS’s. Communicate any defect when product is received. Report to buyer and photograph any ongoing damaged merchandise to obtain an RTV and/or credit for the item. Manage the process of donating or disposing of damaged products.
- Complete and manage routine inventory cycle counts as needed. Depending on category, cycle counts will be weekly, biweekly, or monthly. Assist the store manager in preparing for annual physical inventory. Be present, assist, and act as a supervisor throughout the actual physical inventory.
- Manage the assembly of mystery bags, kits, and sets. Responsible for submitting all counts/adjustments for these items to the buyer as well as monitoring and communicating inventory levels of items contained in mystery bags, kits, and sets.
- Manage the process of marking down merchandise, ensuring all is pulled for markdown and put in designated area. Report any count adjustments that need to be made and make the adjustments upon approval from buyer or VP. Monitor the inventory flow of the markdown items to the floor.
- Coach store team in best practices for inventory control and loss prevention. Document shoplifting incidents as they occur and review with security supervisor, leadership team and store associates via one-on-one meetings, weekly retail department meetings, and store all staff meetings.
- Manage the work efforts of temporary or part-time staff. Provide coaching and training as required to the other members of the stock team and cross train all leadership team members in basic shipping, receiving, web order fulfillment, and inventory control procedures.
- Assist in the interviewing of stock team candidates and perform evaluations for stock team associates.
- Attend and be an active participant in retail weekly meetings and store all staff meetings.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Minimum Education Required
- High School degree or equivalent.
Minimum Experience Required
- Two years of related retail and stockroom supervisory experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of related retail inventory control and loss prevention experience.
- Strong service-orientation.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to multitask and juggle simultaneous deadline driven projects.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Knowledge of POS systems.
- Computer competency.
- Basic E-mail, word processing, and spreadsheet competency.
- Ability to make decisions and resolve problems.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to use computerized point-of-sale, postage scale, and mailing machine.
- Ability to effectively present information to department and other museum employees, customers, and vendors in one-on-one or group setting.
- Ability to lift and move at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate machinery to transport merchandise and supplies from docks to store, stockrooms, and storage areas.
- Work schedule to be determined based on needs of the business.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the Application Form.