Store Managers, would you like to work for the coolest museum in town? The International Spy Museum is looking for you! We are looking for a Retail Store/Web Manager for our 5000 sq. foot store and e-commerce site.
The Store Manager directs the day-to-day operations for the store and web store while working in a fun and fast paced environment selling our unique assortment of spy gear including apparel and accessories, books, gadgets, toys, souvenirs, and more. The position requires high energy and the ability to motivate others, a thorough understanding of metrics / KPIs and proven success driving business, achieving sales goals, and controlling expenses. A minimum 5 years of experience in the role of Store Manager/GM in a high-volume store, managing a large team, is required.
- Embrace the SPY culture and our core values of Service Excellence, Team, Creativity, Diversity, and Fun.
- Manage and coordinate all store and web store activities and operations (customer service, staffing, merchandising, inventory, expense controls, pricing, and promotional strategies) to ensure financial goals are achieved. Prepare and monitor sales statistics, analyze results, and advise appropriate management on performance and issues.
- Greet and sell to customers, serving as a role model to your team and creating a rewarding customer experience. Respond courteously and promptly to customer inquiries, enhancing customer satisfaction. Build relationships with our visitors and our internal partners.
- Hire, train, coach and develop a strong and cohesive team of up to 30 sales associates and 5 leadership team members. Effectively schedule associates with varied availability, adjust schedule for changing hours of operation and meet selling expense goals. Monitor staff turnover, develop retention practices/programs, and build a succession plan.
- Provide comprehensive on-the job training. Create training manuals and implement training programs. Monitor performance and provide timely, constructive feedback. Coordinate staff activities and foster collaboration between retail and museum teams.
- Ensure store policies and procedures are followed. Perform daily opening, closing, and security procedures. Ensure accurate accounting and reconciliation of money, sales, and finances.
- Oversee stocking and the care and appearance of the store. Implement merchandising strategies, price changes, and promotions to maximize sales and inventory turnover. Ensure visually appealing, well-stocked and signed displays.
- Manage all aspects of the web store, including customer service, order fulfillment, and site management.
- Direct store’s risk management efforts. Ensure all safety guidelines, loss presentation policies and best practices are followed for employee and customer safety and to minimize store losses.
- Coordinate special events, on and off-site, with other museum staff to include merchandise selection, displays, scheduling, and staffing. Professionally interact and partner with museum colleagues from all departments for events, projects, and tasks.
- Prepare store for and conduct annual physical inventory. Organize and assign staff and workload and reconcile inventory in accordance with established procedures.
- Attend and Actively participate in museum and department meetings, representing the Retail Department. Develop content for and conduct store meetings.
- Stay abreast of retail developments identify and incorporate new trends, as appropriate, and participate in relevant professional organizations and meetings. Visit competitors to understand our market.
Minimum Education & Experience Required
- Five years retail management experience in a high-volume store with a large team and strong emphasis on retail operations and customer service.
- Direct experience in staffing and scheduling, training, cash management, display, and experience utilizing and maintaining retail POS systems.
- College degree or related college coursework in business, marketing, retail, merchandising or related field preferred.
- Knowledge of e-commerce store management a plus. Willingness to research, learn and manage our e-commerce store site as an extension to the physical store and an additional revenue stream.
- Strong leadership, team building, written and verbal communication skills. Excellent people skills, including conflict management and ability to work with a diverse public.
- Knowledge of retail operations including cash handling, inventory control, security best practices, and visual merchandising principles. The initiative to develop training programs and manuals around these areas of responsibility.
- Ability to exhibit and implement outstanding customer service and represent the museum in a positive and professional manner.
- Competence in using POS, web site platform and other automated systems that support retail operations. Proficiency with E-mail, Micro-Soft Office tools. Ability to verify data, identify and correct discrepancies, and prepare reports.
- Resourcefulness in solving problems, translating feedback into actionable steps, and managing conflict resolution quickly and efficiently.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to successfully prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously through completion.
- Must work evenings, weekends, and holidays as dictated by the needs of the business.
- Requires extended periods of standing and walking, lifting, handling, and moving stock.
- Must be flexible and work as a team player within the department and museum.
How to apply:
For employment consideration, please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume to the Director of Retail on the Retail Management Application Form.