Summary: Exciting and challenging opportunity for a history-oriented Bookseller with a minimum 2 years of retail, book selling or library experience. Customer service experience to engage with and hand-sell books, multi-media products and games to customers, and assist with merchandising and receiving books, media, and games for our full-line Museum and Web store.
- Use your exemplary customer service and history background to sell intelligence, espionage, history and related books, multi-media products, and games.
- Use your attention to detail to check-in, ticket, and receive books through the POS operating system. Assist the Book Buyer and Finance Department in resolving any related discrepancies.
- Merchandise and maintain book, multi-media and game display areas including creating customer friendly/informative signs, cross merchandising in coordination with gift buyers and operations managers, and pricing/managing markdowns of damaged and/or slow selling merchandise in coordination with the Book Buyer.
- Maintain a well-organized and clean stock area so that other sales associates can locate back stock and assist with display maintenance to maximize sales.
- Inform Book Buyer with special orders and reorders in his/her absence.
- Learn, utilize, and teach retail sales associates to use Mobile POS device to assist with hand selling, locating, and merchandising on the sales floor.
Minimum Education Required
- College degree preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
Minimum Experience Required
- Minimum of 2 years retail, book seller or library experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Intermediate computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook, Point-of-Sale) required.
- Proven strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to get to / from and participate in on and off-site events.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Attend and participate in special events, and routine book, store and museum meetings.
- Participate in annual inventory prep, execution, and reconciliation.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned that contribute to team effort.
Skills and Attributes
- Positive and eager to engage with customers and work individually and as part of the sales team to achieve retail sales goals.
- Enthusiasm, initiative and passion for history and selling, managing and sourcing books, multi-media and games related to core Espionage and Intelligence subject-matter.
- Excellent customer service and people skills.
- Reporting and open communication between Book Buyer and Leadership Team is crucial.
- Attention to detail extremely important to ensure accuracy of inventory and bookkeeping.
- Ability to multi-task/manage several projects simultaneously on time under tight deadlines.
- Sound decision-making skills.
- Previous Inventory Management and Merchandising experience preferred.
- Able to work in a fast-paced team environment as part of a team and independently.
- The work generally requires extended periods of standing and walking and will require a moderate amount of bending, and the ability to handle and move stock weighing up to 50 lbs.
To Apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to the Retail Application Form.