Exciting and challenging opportunity for an individual with an interest in History and the Intelligence World. Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in retail or books. Responsibilities include customer service and hand selling books, organizing and storing back-stock, on and off-site event set up and participation, and assisting in recovery, replenishment, and visual merchandising of books, games, and posters. Experience with receiving books a plus.
- Assist customers in selection and purchase of books, games, and posters to achieve sales goals. Engage customers in conversations about books, content, and authors. Create interest in books and tie stories back to museum exhibits. Suggestive sell.
- Create visually appealing displays of books, games, and posters. Keep libraries organized so books can be easily located by you, the sales team, and your customers. Fill and maintain displays.
- Use in store POS system, Mobile POS device, and receiving equipment to ring sales and assist with receiving books, and locating and merchandising books on the sales floor.
- Maintain a well-organized and clean stock area so that other sales associates are able to locate back stock and assist with display maintenance in order to maximize sales.
- Assist in pricing/managing markdowns of damaged and/or slow selling books in coordination with Book Buyer.
- Use your attention to detail to check-in, ticket, reconcile invoices against packing slips and resolve any/all related discrepancies.
- Process claims for books damaged during shipment, resolve receiving discrepancies due to incorrect items, quantities or packaging.
- Communication: Good Listening and Interpersonal skills. Candidates must communicate with other associates, read receiving documents, and record discrepancies.
- Analytical: Candidates must be able to follow detailed procedures, differentiate between similar items, and problem solve receiving issues until resolved.
- Organization: Candidates must be able to process receiving documents and various forms, prioritize work, and move boxes efficiently through the work spaces.
- Intermediate computer and Microsoft Office skills/knowledge including knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, point-of-sale systems, and receiving equipment.
- Positive and eager to work individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced store environment to achieve retail sales goals.
- Interest in books, history, and current affairs.
- Ability to work independently and without close supervision post training
- Excellent customer service, people and communication skills
- Attention to detail extremely important to ensure accuracy of inventory and bookkeeping
- Ability to multi-task/manage several tasks simultaneously
- Sound decision-making skills
- Basic math skills
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a H.S. diploma or G.E.D.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and complete projects on time under tight deadlines
The work generally requires extended periods of standing and walking and will require a moderate amount of bending, the ability to climb up and down a ladder and the ability to handle, lift and move stock weighing up to 50 lbs.
Submit a detailed cover letter, copy of your current resume and 3 business references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Book Specialist" in the subject line.